A £220k investment for 6th form centre, science and student reception
- Key Issues: Science rooms were located in end of life cabins / temporary buildings. The school also suffered from an under provision of classrooms. The temporary classrooms were beyond repairs and could not continue to be occupied safely. The BIP work would look to replace the units, provide a new science room and relocate the student entrance.
- Project Value: £220k for science room and site works plus a 20 year lease for the building
- Delivery: 4 month programme completed March 21
- Architect: Netzero Building
- Contractor: Netzero Building
Opportunities and benefits
- The temporary buildings were demolished and replaced by Netzero Building to provide a dedicated 6th form centre with café space and library, offices and 4 general classrooms.
- Units were prefabricated off site and the building was delivered and installed within 2 weeks upon completion of the slab minimizing disruptions on site.
- A new science room was located within the Academy near the science cluster.
- The student reception was relocated towards the front and improvements were made to the student entrance.
Before & After Photos
6th Form Centre, Science and Student Reception
“The academy has grown significantly over the last 5 years to a stable population of 1700 students resulting in a room shortage. In addition, the mobile classrooms had been in place for many years and were neither a positive or safe learning environment for students or staff. The Trust Project Manager worked closely with the school to determine a plan and budget that was ambitious yet affordable. The 4 classrooms, library, café and offices are for the primary use of the Sixth Form, in turn this has released rooms across the site to meet the needs of our growing school.
“The project was led in-house by school Business Manager supported by Site Manager. The Net Zero Team were superb in working with the school to meet our needs, minimise disruption and keep to deadlines and together the teamwork has been a model of best practice in the interests of creating an improved school environment. This has enabled us to provide a safe and contemporary learning environment.“