We are pleased to confirm the news that this week DfE have published the updated version of Good Estate Management for Schools.
Some of the changes are due to new guidance or legislation; most are in response to feedback from users in schools and responsible bodies. The new update includes:
- An easy to read list of the benefits of good estate management
- The GEMS Self-Assessment Tool, which is now interactive. It can be completed online and will automatically generate an action plan
- Another interactive tool to help track compliance with health and safety and building regulations and inspections.
- An updated version of “Top 10 questions for governing boards”
- Another new tool to help prioritise maintenance projects and tasks.
- A comprehensive checklist to reduce energy and water usage
For those totally new to GEMS, DfE have produced a short animated video about the GEMS resources.
Health & Safety
The section on Health and Safety has been refreshed as well. It includes more information on responsibilities, and updated guidance and links from the Health and Safety Executive.
There has also been an updated to guidance on Managing asbestos in your school.
- updates on the day-to-day management of asbestos, and what to do if things do go wrong
- an update on the legislative framework
new case studies to help manage asbestos effectively/improve practice