A £220k investment to refurbish the maths department
Opportunities and Benefits
- Key Issues: Maths classrooms within Block 4 first floor were in poor condition requiring upgrade to heating, electrical and finishes. The rooms were badly configured with access issues and lack of space. This presented also a health and safety concern at the Academy with not all rooms having direct daylight and ventilation and means of escape in need of improvements
- Project Value: £220k
- Delivery: 6 weeks programme completed Aug 19
- Architect: Seymour Harris Architecture
- Contractor: Zone Cee Ltd
- The trust centrally procured the works with locally sourced suppliers to continue to establish partnering type relationships with contractors.
- The space was reconfigured to create a corridor and access to 6 newly refurbished classroom.
- An additional classroom was gained as part of the remodeling as well as a large staff base and an additional student practice room.
- The old convector heaters were replaced with new radiators and pipework. New LED lighting was installed. Both of these measures greatly improved the teaching environment.
Academy Principal Statement
“The previous layout was not conducive to learning and teaching, and created daily problems. The Trust’s project manager worked with the architects to create a brief we were all happy with, which assumed a funding envelope of circa £450k. The academy were then only allocated £150k, with a chunk made up from the academy. The project manager adroitly managed the size and scope of the project, so that we were able to re-model one whole floor of mathematics, turning 6 dysfunctional classrooms into 9 excellent, well-resourced areas. Now the children have an excellent learning space. The project manager led the project and the contractors superbly, taking the stress from the academy team. This was especially complicated by the management of the removal of asbestos from the block. Zone Cee Construction were excellent to work with, going over and above to find creative solutions for the academy and ensure we got the best deal from our budget.”